Hi There! How was your weekend? Well, I have to tell you, this past weekend was gorgeous in our parts! We had 77°F and sunshine, what more could we ask for in mid October?! Saturday was the perfect day to get some things done in the garden, in a get-it-ready-for-winter sort of way.
We live in a row house. And as it goes, for a country-lovin, wide-open-space-lovin girl like me, that isn’t the ideal. If I could choose, I’d live like a recluse in my hobbit-hole and only come out to go to the market, work in my garden or go on long dangerous adventures! But sometimes having neighbors so close can be inspiring too. They start getting busy in their yard and it inspires you to get off your hiney and do something too. For instance, one day last week my neighbor was out washing out her pots and planters in a big way and stored them up in her yard to dry. This made a light-bulb go off in my head, hey! I could do that too.
Well when you decide to clean up your garden, one thing leads to another and the whole day is spent working. ET and I spent the day out there together each doing our own jobs. He decided to clean out the compost bin and guess what happened? That el-cheapo compost bin we bought a few years ago fell apart, so instead of going out and buying something ready-made (=$) he used some scrap wood and built a new one. I’m posting pics of our new simple diy compost bin, hopefully it will last longer than the plastic one we bought for good $. Never spend $ when you have the material to make your own…, but you know what? It’s never as simple as it sounds or looks.
He ended up having to run to the hardware store for the right screws and driving our son to work because of the German train strikes, meaning standing in a “Stau” for a few hours. Coming back, he finished it up, put the rest of the compost back in the bin and replanted a plant I took out of one of the pots (I desperately wanted to clean pots that day). He had earned his medal!
I did my part too. First I uprooted all of the dead or dying plants in the square foot garden. Pulled off the roping I had been using as dividers for the squares and took apart the trellis I used for growing cucumbers. I had quite a few pots and old wine-crates that I was using on the patio for growing herbs and tomatoes. I dismantled the wine-crate planters I made, got a staple in my finger and ran inside to stop the bleeding. A few band-aids later I decided I wouldn’t be using those wine-crates for planting next year. They did look kind of nice, but I want to streamline the garden next year and just plant things in my square foot garden squares. But don’t hold me accountable for that, I may just change my mind as next spring rolls around!
I pulled out two roses that were growing near the patio (they always did bother me with their thorns) and replanted the area with a hydrangea that used to be in a pot. Again, when I say pulled out the roses, it sounds so simple but those beauties had some deep roots!
I washed and scrubbed all of the crates and pots in a big plastic tub down by the rain-water bin.
Used up the rest of the rain water because that can’t be left in there in the winter. I used a large amount of water with a tiny amount of dishwashing liquid and vinegar. My former self would have used a harsh cleaning product to scrub off the gunk, but that small amount of dish detergent and vinegar did the job just fine.
Needless to say, later in the evening after fixing and eating supper, we were both exhausted and I have tendinitis now, but at least our garden is in ship-shape and ready for winter! I still have a few other plants to uproot and give away or replant, but that will have to wait for another day, weather permitting of course.
So, I’m wishing everyone a beautiful week and hopefully I haven’t scared you away from tackling your own garden projects, take care!